WHO WE ARE:
Smile Vanuatu is a volunteer group of oral health professionals dedicated to promoting oral hygiene through health promotion, education, research and activism.
Starting in 2011, we continue to grow through the trust of the Vanuatu people and the high standard of oral health promotion and treatment delivered within the program. Each year a new team travels to Vanuatu.
WHAT DO WE DO:
Smile Vanuatu seeks to establish and maintain a working relationship between Vanuatu Health, the population on Malakula Island and volunteering Australian oral health professionals to provide a sustainable public health program that will be advantageous for future generations in Vanuatu.
The one week program brief is to collaborate with local dentists, community health nurses and teachers within the school environments treating the local school children. Donations of toothbrushes, toothpaste, dental materials are appreciated. Monetary donations will be used to purchase consumables essential for the trip.
WHERE DO WE GO:
Malampa Province, Malakula Island Vanuatu. Malakula Island is the 2nd largest island in the Pacific Ocean region of Melanesia with a population of approximately 35,000 people. This group speak over 30 different languages, most understand English, thankfully.
The group is the guest of Norsup Hospital and the surrounding community. We land at Norsup Airport and base ourselves at Norsup Hospital under the respectful leadership of the Hospital manager and dentist.
Lakatoro is the capital of Malampa province and has the main shops, market place, National Bank, Air Vanuatu office and is the administration centre for Malampa Province. This area claims to have 24 hour electricity and telephone access.
My name is Oli and I am contacting you because my dentist – DR. P. Ikonomou – Sydney – Australia has about 200kg of small dental material in plastic crates (2m*2m*2m) he is looking to donate (listed below).
Dr Ikonomou would be paying for the freight in order for the material to reach you.
Is this something you’d be interested in and if so, can you please let me know who and where we should be sending the material to.
Thanks very much
• 1 box slow speed dental handpieces
• 4 high speed angled heads
• 1 box high speed handpieces
• 1 box high speed line
• Carton of high speed burs
• 1 round box stabilox pins
• 1 box cable ties
• 3 haemostats
• 3 pens
• 2 capsule adaptors
• 2 activators
• 2 spare light bulbs for dental curing
• 6 dental syringes metal
• Alvogyl dental dressing
• 1 roll of plumbing tape
• 2 bottles of dental bond (red bottles)
• 7 syringes of composite resin (top dental brand)
• Box of IVOCLAR composite resin
• Bluetooth gel (x 2)
• Bag of sutures
• 3 amalgam carriers
• 2 dental curing lights
• 7 tofflemires
• 5 packets of matrix bands
• 1 box of wedges
• 1 tube of charisma composite resin
• 1 tube prestige composite
• 1 box of hand tools
• 5 tubs of amalgam (500 each tubs)
• 1 computer and screen (used ibm brand)
• 1 angle grinder and disks
• 1 pink and 1 blue backpack
• 2 clear storage containers
• 1 packet of superglue
• 1 box of dental anaesthetic and needles (mixed box)
• 2 amalgamator dental mixers
• 20 tubes DIAFIL composite resin
• 2 bottles DIAFIL dental bond
• 1 box of scalpels
• 13 hand instruments
• 7 x extraction elevators
• Power etch x 4
• 3 Amalgam mixers (progress brand)
• 1 (used) autoclave
• 3 metal suction tips
• 30 dental hand instruments and metal suction tips
• 1 metal box
• Procosol root canal dressing
• 1 woodpecker curing light
• 2 straight dental handpieces
• 1 slow speed air motor
• 1 grey box of socket tools
• 6 bottles of dental x-ray chemicals